Thursday, June 10, 2010

Shakira, Shakira!

Today is the opening ceremony of the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. What does it mean to me? Well, for once, I welcome a sporting event which truly embodies the global community (hello baseball - world series with 2 or 3 countries only, really?). Also, I love the fact that it's an event held in an African country (for once!). I love the excitement of the fans with colorful outfits representative of their national flags, I love that tense foreign relations are resolved in the bleachers, and that fans are literally forced to learn about each other's cultures.

Do you have plans to watch any of the games? If not, I hope that you will at least catch the opening ceremony with the stunning Shakira, Alicia Keys, and others performing.

Until then....

No comments:

Post a Comment